Saturday, September 25, 2010

Oblivious Blind Date and Extreme Scrabble






I know you have your own horrendous and stupendous date stories. SEND THEM TO ME!!! please.  

Worst Date – Entry 7
"My friend from home called me up and told me her cousin had just gotten home from a mission.  He was described as really cute, funny, and lots of fun.  I hate blind dates, but I adored this friend and thought I’d give it a shot.  We set up the date for a Tuesday night and he said we’d be going on a double with his best friend.  About an hour or so before he was supposed to pick me up, he calls me to say that his friend doesn’t have a date so could I please find him one.  

I call every single friend I have, but it’s a Tuesday night and in the middle of midterms.  I call back after over 30 minutes of trying to say how sorry I am, but that I couldn’t find anyone when he responds, 'Oh, he already found someone anyway.'  Thanks for letting me know, pal! 

When I open my front door, there are two guys standing there.  My date, who looks like he’s straight off a 50s farm (gap between his front teeth and all), pushes passed me without a word when he sees my roommate’s drum set and sits down to start playing.  His friend makes polite conversation while we wait for the horrible drum solo to end.  Finally, they decide we should leave.  My roommates give me the “we’ll pray for you” look as I walk out the door.  They didn’t pray hard enough.


We pick up his date and head to Trafalga where we meet up with a third married couple.  We are playing mini golf, but my date basically refuses to acknowledge I’m alive.  He’s talking to his friend and his friend’s date (who he had known previously) the whole time.  The married couple takes pity on me and talks to me throughout the evening.  My date, however, seems to think the evening is going splendidly and keeps trying to extend it.  We do bumper cars next and then he tries to get everyone to do the batting cages, but everyone else decides on ice cream.  It’s after 10 on a Tuesday, so nothing is open.  I’m praying for the end , but the married couple offers up the ice cream at their place.  They live in some family member’s basement, so we have to be quite.  They dish the ice cream and then lead us into their BEDROOM to eat it!  The room is a complete disaster with dirty clothes strewn everywhere.  The married couple climbs INTO bed to eat while the rest of us try not to sit on their unmentionables.  The other girl and I were incredibly uncomfortable, but our dates were having the times of their lives and got 2 more servings of ice cream each.  When they finally decide that we should head out, my date asks if we can end the evening with a closing prayer.  His friends say no and they take me home.  When my date walks me to my door, he shakes my hand and tells me what a great time he had.  He added that we should 'do it again sometime.'  That caught me so off guard that I said, 'REALLY!?!' in complete shocked horror.  I got inside as quickly as possible only to see my living room packed with people who had all just heard the most awkward door scene ever.  I’m sure he was still within hearing distance when they all burst out laughing and I collapsed into the fetal position on the floor!  WORST DATE EVER!"


Best Date – Entry G



"So, I've been seeing this great guy for about a month now, and one of our mutual joys in this life is a good game of Scrabble. Our first date was an evening of Afghan food and Scrabble (I totally whupped him), so we agreed that a rematch for him to avenge his shattered honor would be in order.

Earlier this week, I was thinking about cool date ideas when it hit me: what's the one thing better than Scrabble? GIANT Scrabble! I immediately went to work cutting out letter tiles from salvaged cardboard and figuring out the dimensions for a masking tape board to make on a flat surface (in case you wanted to know, if you make your tiles 4x4 inches, your board will need to be 7X7 feet with 5x5 inch squares).

When Friday rolled around, I told him to meet me in front of the Marriot Center at five. When he arrived, I was putting the finishing touches on my enormous board. He was absolutely FLOORED. In addition to being an awesomely fun round of Scrabble (the game changing word of the night may or may not have been "surgings" across a Triple Word Score--that's 77 points), we also got the singular pleasure of people goggling at how cool we were as they walked by. While the rest of the evening was also wonderful, the highlight was definitely the biggest game of Scrabble I have ever played with an amazing guy.

Oh, and for the record, 332 to 232. I won again :]"

12 comments: