Thursday, September 30, 2010

Left Behind and Creative Kissing

 Worst Date - Entry 12
Soon after coming to BYU, I met this totally awesome girl whom I subsequently began dating. A few days after we began dating exclusively, my girlfriend and her roommate asked me if I wanted to go to the temple for baptisms. After finishing the baptisms, and feeling pretty good all over, we then separated to change our clothes. I entered the men’s dressing room and found myself all alone. I took a moment to express my gratitude for the wonderful peace of the moment. I then shed my drenched and cold jumpsuit down a little laundry shoot into an adjacent room. No sooner did I release the wet clothes when I realized my locker key was still securely fastened to the white fabric. With utter shock and horror I vainly clawed at the steel chute, but it was too late. Dressed in a mere wet loincloth I grabbed a towel and weighed my options. …1.) I could try to go after the clothes down the chute, which was probably big enough for me to slide down, but then how would I climb back out of it? …2.) Wait for another man to come into the dressing room and then send them for help. I opted for #2, but I found that no one was coming. Minutes turned to hours and hours turned into days as I learned to live off ants and beetles that happened by…or at least that was what happened in my daydream.

Finally, I decided to try and quietly yell out the door for help. I draped another towel over my shoulders, feeling very awkward at the temple to be nearly naked and going out into public. I peered around the front door of the locker room into the lobby where a group of youth were assembling. They were a little loud and I could not find anyone to notice me or hear me over their own noise pollution. I retreated back to the lonely cave and contemplated the chute again…I envisioned myself stuck in that tiny chute upside down with my legs flailing…what a sight that would’ve been when help eventually would come. I decided to try calling from the door again. I again poked just my head through the smallest of openings, but no one could hear me over other noise. I waited for a while longer and finally I heard a break in the noise. I mustered all I could to sheepishly beg for assistance from one of the other patrons…ignored by all the men in the company, I then caught the watchful eye of a silver haired sister who must have climatically heard my prayers. She approached and I withdrew slowly back into my cave of decency. Once she was close enough for hushed-voiced-communication I explained my plight and she smiled in a way that told me I was not the first one to have this problem…after all, this design flaw of depositing your clothes with key before you reach your locker must be so common. She reassured me that appropriate masculine help would soon be to my aid. I waited another 5 minutes before what appeared to me like superman (but really was an 80-something year old nearly immobile brother) came to the rescue with a master key and broke the invincible spell on my locker and freed my dignity again. I dressed so fast that I am sure the buttons on my white shirt were off by two buttonholes and my hair was only barely straightened by the quick comb-like pass of my fingers. I didn’t have time to fuss over the details of my appearance, only that I needed to now appear to the girls waiting. By the time I leaped free from my temple prison (if that even exists) I had been MIA for over 25 minutes. My romantic interest and her roommate gave me puzzled looks of disbelief that such a prima Donna could take so long to change and primp only to emerge like a drunken vagabond with an unruly look. We departed that sanctuary and I apologized for my tardiness with a brief explanation of how I took so long because I didn’t want to make them feel bad for taking so much time to get ready, as girls always do.

4 months later I married that awesomely patient girl and sat in the temple lobby, right after our sealing, for nearly a half-hour waiting for her so that we could go get our pictures taken. That’s a whole other story about her very own wardrobe problems. That was an even better date at the temple though!
Best Date – Entry L
A friend of mine and I both like to make fun little lists together, like all of the places we want to be when we get kissed. My friend’s boyfriend had heard about the list, and asked me for a copy of it so he could plan something special for my friend. I soon found out that that is not why he needed the list. In fact, my boyfriend was the one who wanted the list, and for my birthday, he took me to as many places on my list to kiss me. We had a kiss on-stage, on a mountain, in the rain (luckily it was raining), ect. It was super thoughtful, and still remains in my book as the best and most thoughtful date. 

No comments:

Post a Comment