Thursday, September 23, 2010

Botched Basketball and Simple Service

Worst Date - Entry 5
(I know the picture doesn't entirely relate, but think deeply and... it still doesn't.)
I had not been on a date since I had been dumped by my boyfriend 3 years before. I had 2 tickets to a basketball game that the physical therapist I worked for had given me. I asked my "secret crush" if he would like to go with me and he accepted. However, the night before the date, he flaked out on me. He told me I should ask Ben, another guy from our ward. Already, this was not going well. Ben really disliked being asked out by girls. He had told me so on numerous occasions. I decided going to the b-ball game with Ben was better than going on my own, so I called and asked him if he would like to go with me. I told him, "This isn't a date, so I don't want you to freak out." His response, "I'll only go with you if this IS a date. I'll pick you up at 6:00 and if you pay for parking, I'll take you to dinner."



I had gone running that day, and had had an early lunch, so by the time he picked me up (he was late), I was starving. When I got into his car, he was scarfing down an ice cream sundae from Costco. I looked at the sundae and he told me he'd gotten hungry waiting to pick me up. I was thinking it was weird, but whatever. I got in the car and we drove to the game. When we got to the parking lot, I paid the fee and we started walking toward the stadium. We didn't get there in time to go to a restaurant and I'm thinking "Really, you're buying me arena food for dinner," but I was so hungry I would have taken anything. 
We go to sit down in our seats and we begin talking. He decided to steer the conversation towards what girls in our ward would be acceptable for him to date. Fantastic. He wants me to set him up with one of my friends. I reluctantly tell him which girls are awesome and why. He proceeds to tell me he'd rather date someone hot instead of a "nice girl." Halfway through the game, I start hinting that I am really, really hungry. In fact, I'm starting to feel faint. He decides now would be a good time to eat. So we go scope out the food situation. The first thing he did was look at the prices of the food and then he announces, "I'm not paying for this! It's way too expensive! If you want to eat, you'll have to pay for it yourself."
Having no more money, as I had paid for parking, I went back to my seat extremely grumpy. We sat through part of the third period when he announces "It's time to go!" I was dumbfounded. Why would we go? It was a good game and our team was winning. He says, "We have to beat the traffic." I replied "What traffic? It's a Tuesday night and there aren't even 5,000 people here!" He tells me that he's leaving now and if I want a ride home, I'm going to have to go with him. 
The drive home was miserable. He wanted to talk about a hot-button topic. I disagreed with his standpoint and voiced my own opinion. He berated me about my point of view. When he approached my apartment, he barely slowed down and I had to leap from the car. The kicker was that he told my best friend he had had a really good time. 
Shockiingly, I disagreed.
Best Date - Entry E

The very best date I have been on is when my date and I went and weeded an elderly lady’s yard. We just worked side by side and enjoyed talking together. It was simple, but the company was good and the service was meaningful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment