Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Doubting the Benefits & Singing Soulfully for Supper

Worst Date - Entry 4 
I met this guy in one of my classes at school. He took me out on a couple of dates, or, at least I thought they were dates at first. The thing is that our dates were so far apart and pretty casual, so I reserved the possibility that maybe he was just interested in friendship. After class one day, we were walking together, and he asked if I would like to go with him to see a game in Salt Lake with some friends. I gladly accepted the invitation. He said he would pick me up in an hour at 4:00. I went home and got ready, and then I waited, and I waited, and I waited. I continued to wait until about 4:45 when I called him to see what was going on. I mean, he could have gotten in a terrible accident, right? Or maybe a tiger ate his phone. I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. He didn’t answer his phone and so the vision of him needing to save a baby gorilla was playing in my head, which is so very plausible at this point. Still I waited until, at seven, I received a text message from him telling me that there wasn’t enough room in the car so he couldn’t come pick me up. At this point the accident, tiger, and gorilla all vanished as possible scenarios and I was a slightly annoyed, just slightly. Okay, I was more bordering on the irate side of the line. He came over late that night and knocked on my door. He told me that he knew he hadn’t handled things very well, and that he hadn’t come because he had just gotten out of a relationship and was scared. I listened patiently, but I still didn’t connect why any of that meant he couldn’t call me to tell me he wouldn’t be coming to get me.
Best Date - Entry D 

The best date I've ever been on didn't start out looking like it would be. It was a Valentine's day double date. The boy picked me up and took me to his house, where the other couple was waiting. The men informed us that they didn't have any money, so we were going to earn some and then go on the date. We, the girls, were instructed to make signs out of poster board that said phrases like, "Hungry Teenagers" and "Will Sing For Food," while the men practiced harmonizing to a few of their favorite songs. Then we went to a swankier part of town and put a hat next to us on the ground. The boys sang, the girls waved the posters, and we danced with our dates for fifteen minutes before security asked us to leave. In that fifteen minutes, people passing by contributed $50 into our hat. We then went out to dinner using that cash and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. 

No comments:

Post a Comment