Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Magical Moves & Absolute Art

Worst Date – Entry 24
I was serving as a ward chorister in my BYUI student ward. This was beyond uncomfortable for me since I am tone deaf. It also didn’t help that I was a new convert, and therefore knew about five hymns. But, I figured it was easy and that no one would actually be paying attention to me waving my arm around unaware. That was until I met "Bill". He approached me after church one day to tell me I was doing everything wrong. I was off tempo, I was not making appropriate eye contact with the pianist or congregation, I was not on key or not singing altogether (in my defense I know about five hymns), and the list didn't seem to end. However, knowing he was right, I didn't take offense. He then asked if he could teach me, and the appointment was set for me to go his apartment to do so.
Well, upon arriving, I discovered this was actually a group date to see Handel's Messiah. I didn’t want to embarrass him in front of his friends, so I decided to just go along. Normally events where you just sit and don't have to socialize aren't that bad of dates, but I was with a singing date. He literally sang along the whole first half of the performance. In between movements people would ask him not to sing, to be quiet, and eventually to just shut up, but he wouldn't. Instead, he continued to sing, and sing, and sing. And if the singing itself wasn't distracting enough he conducted, with both arms, and shut his eyes to really get into the moment and feel the crowd and the music and the power of Opera. At intermission, I tried to leave, but it was then I found out that afterwards I would be given my lesson on conducting. I was stuck, trapped next to Bill for the second half.
At this point, I knew I had one option and only one option to make him stop; I had to distract Bill. So with my right hand I held his right hand and snuggled deeply into left side where I sat. It actually worked!  There was silence, silence that lasted the rest of the show. Thank Heavens!
My "relationship" with Bill took a turn for the worse. After our date, Bill went to see our Bishop. He thought my come on was not only serious but carnally inappropriate for someone not wed. He was confused as whether to propose or to repent for the wild feelings he felt with me so close to him. I was in a stupor as my Bishop called me into his office and relayed this message to me with Bill anxiously sitting across from me. I asked Bill to leave so I could speak with the Bishop alone. My Bishop and I had a great laugh as I told him of the experience. Over Christmas break Bill drove home to Boise with a girl he met on the ride board, they came back from the break engaged. It was a real Christmas Miracle.
Best Date – Entry X
I had a perfect date. It was the kind that you would see on a movie during a montage while some epic amazing music was playing in the background. My boyfriend at the time, Drew, and I bought food for a picnic. We drove to Los Angeles, California and went to the Getty Museum. We ate our picnic food on a grass lawn overlooking LA and the beautiful gardens at the museum. Then we walked around to the art exhibits hand in hand spending time at each interest piece. After the museum we drove down the famous Sunset Blvd with our windows down (the weather that day was also perfect). We stopped at a famous record store, Amoeba Records, where we walked down each row searching for our favorite artists. After we found at least 3 albums each we went to the line at the register to check out and guess who was right in front of me? Julie Styles. My favorite actress was right in front of me! She probably noticed how much I was staring at her but I eventually found the courage to talk to her! We talked for a little bit and we introduced ourselves (even though I already knew who she was). I even have a picture to prove it ;)
After the most amazing encounter at Amoeba Records, Drew and I went to a famous sushi restaurant across from the Music Box venue. We ate crunchy rolls and spicy tuna rolls in line before we saw our favorite band Empire of the Sun. After two hours of sitting outside we went in and watched Luke Steele, the lead singer, sing our favorite song “Walking on a Dream”. That night we bought posters, CDs, and t-shirts to remember our perfect night.

No comments:

Post a Comment