Monday, October 4, 2010

Cultural? and Historical Dating

I didn't want to post post on a Sunday, so here are the posts from yesterday and today. 
Worst Date – Entry 16


I am Asian. While this is most definitely apart of who I am, it is not the only thing that defines me. However, some guys that I have gone out with seemed to think that it is. This guy
(name withheld to save his lineage!) saw me at church and asked around about me. My dad was the bishop so naturally it was easy for the cadet to hunt me down. Of course the cadet had my dad's approval to go since he was a commanding officer and assumed all cadets were good enough for his daughter, ug. Knowing that I am Asian, he decided to take me to Red Dragon Palace restaurant. I was fine with the choice until he started to show me how to eat rice from a bowl while scooping the rice up with chop sticks. Soon enough we were finished with dinner and we went to watch a movie. Oh but wait, which movie? Karate Kid. Yes, I am Asian! Thank you for noticing.  The only nice thing about sitting through this movie was no verbal communication for an hour and half!! But the torture did not end yet, he kept trying so hard to lean towards me throughout the whole movie!! My right side of my body was practically embedded in the arm rest! I was dying. I was so happy when it was time to go home!! He wanted more than just a hand shake but I politely bolted inside. My parents anxiously wanted to know how it went but after I started telling them the awkwardness of it, we all had a good laugh. Unfortunately, the next night HE came over uninvited and I wasn't home. Luckily, my mom kept the blinds open so when I noticed my parents were sitting in the living room talking to someone, I was able to see that it was HIM! I wouldn't dare go in so I hung out outside as long as possible until I finally got my mom's attention from the window and begged her not to make me come inside!! She obliged and saved my life.
Worst Date – Entry 15
This date went from strange, to cool, and then to just plain weird. I was going on a triple date with some guys in my ward, and I was told beforehand to dress like a ninja. When I asked why, I was told that it was a surprise. The night of the date came, and my date came and picked me up and took me back to his apartment where the other couples were. We then ate Chinese food, watched Karate Kid, and made origami. I was especially having fun with the origami. I was surprised that the mysterious date was so creative and fun.
After a while, the guys told us all that it was time to move on to the next stage of the date. They informed us that we needed to write hate messages on the origami creations. We were all confused, but once again we were not allowed more information. Everyone began writing. After we were finished, the guys told us that we were now going to deliver the origami around Provo. They took us to a door and when someone would answer, we had to karate chop the person at the door, or do some other ninja kill move and then drop our origami hate note and run away. It was really weird, and I mainly watched for awhile. Finally, after some pestering, I conceded to do one. Whose door did we knock on though? A girl who was in my ward, whom I had just called to visit teach. I hadn’t met her formally yet, so my first encounter with her was me dressed in a ninja outfit, karate chopping her neck, and then dropping an origami hate note in her apartment. I had a little bit of explaining to do when I saw her at church on Sunday. Luckily, she was a good sport about it all.
Best Date – Entry P
One of the first dates my now husband took me on was to the Sundance Film Festival. We had such a fun time all day together. Then we went back to Provo and had delicious Indian food. It was a fulfilling date in every way.
Best Date - O
When I was living in CA, I went with a date to Coloma, a famous historical mining town. We went to the museum there and then afterward went to a quaint Mexican Restaurant. Afterward, we sat beside a river and dangled our feet in the water and chatted.  

1 comment:

  1. I could be wrong... but I think that have heard someone tell me the ninja date story before... ;-) Let's give a shout out for Canada!

    ReplyDelete